Monday, April 28, 2014

BlendKit 2014 - Week One

As you consider designing a blended learning course, what course components are you open to implementing differently than you have in the past?
Several “new” experiences are on deck for the next school year.  My role will transition from a coaching role (K-12 teachers / seven buildings) to direct instruction (K-4 students / 2 buildings).   My new position be as a teacher/librarian supporting two elementary school buildings.   Academic peers taking this course, who teach at a secondary or collegiate level may have different flexibility with course design and can expect students to spend a more defined time period experiencing coursework in an online environment.  For me, the F2F time is defined, with little or no expectation that students must interact outside of the time frame they are scheduled to meet with me.  Because of the age of the group and the need for foundational skill building, I see this as a perfect opportunity to build experience / behavior of foundational skills with a more hands-on, guided approach.  I’m going to design my instruction around communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity.  My present plan is for 4th grade students to have an Edmodo account as a basis for our virtual class.  We will build “in-house” online activities around writing blog posts, micro-blogging, discussion, simple projects, etc...   Since I have not taught this content to this age group yet, everything is still conceptual.  Lots more thought, consideration, and eventual experience need to happen as this transitions from concept to reality.
How will you decide which components will occur online and which will take place face-to-face? How will you manage the relationship between these two modalities?
Since the nature of my professional placement and the age of my students help to define a blended experience that needs to meet the specific mandates of my students’ educational situation, the relationship will be grounded in our F2F instruction and present curriculum.  Any blending experiences will be strategically built to address very specific instructional sets targeting foundational skills necessary to be successful in future online learning environments.



No comments: