Saturday, May 3, 2014

An interesting comment from Week One - BlendKit 2014

Posted by Amy Grunat...
I am a techie person - a Director of Technology for an independent high school.  My experience is a little different than yours.  I am usually the person saying "use technology when it's appropriate" not just to use technology.  As I talk with other Directors of Tech, that is their line too.  Sometimes I think that when so much capital is expended on tech, there is a sense that it must be used all of the time.  That is the worst possible thought process.  Technology should be used to engage the group in ways that can't be accomplished in a traditional classroom.
What I like about the blended learning model is that it leads to experiential education but in a guided way.  Especially in the high school age group, I believe students need the opportunity to "check in".  In a lot of ways, it keeps them on track with the work schedule.  Too often for kids this age, we are on both ends of the spectrum: leading them through projects step by step, or assigning something with little guidance.  The blended learning model helps to bridge those ends by not allowing the educator to sit on top of the student but still giving them autonomy and responsibility for their learning.
 Well said...

No comments: