Friday, May 30, 2014

Whoo-hoo - Week 5 BlendKit 2014 Reading Reaction

It’s as if you read my mind…

As I was developing the various DIY coursework to submit, with special realization during Chapter 4, it became clear that as the “first” time out of the gate and “first” time ever attempting something like this lends itself to a huge learning curve. No matter how well I plan, adjustments and adaptations will happen starting right after the first group that walks through the door.

So, how will I know if what we experienced together (students too) was beneficial – hit the intended mark?

Working with “my version of blended”, in an instructional environment with new grade levels, new curriculum demands…everything is up in the air.

But, here is what I believe.

First, I believe students need to have a voice. I believe they have ideas to share.

Second, I believe being able to communicate with precision as matches ability and maturity is an essential skill no matter what age, or for what purpose.

Third, I believe that good writers and good readers align. Outside of the instructional conventions necessarily built into the course of a “school day”, reading, writing, thinking…are interwoven experiences that should cultivate over time. I envision this opportunity to build a love for books (in any form), a love for words, and an opportunity for students to “see” themselves as empowered through the use of language.

A few things jumped out…like…
• Good practice – we all strive for this, regardless of the delivery
• That the “nature of standards prescribes how things should be” – with the understanding that it’s not possible to fit all contexts – the repeated story of my professional journey…
• The importance of seeking peer reviewers and soliciting feedback from the participants – Asking those who “walk the walk” to share…hmmm…so this is why you gathered feedback each time…

We have an emerging system in place in PA, where part of a teacher’s effectiveness is related to Standardized test results and a self-developed proposal for instructional prediction called Student Learning Outcome. Implementation of this project would be an excellent candidate for me to carry the actual assessment of practice, from the design phase to the completion. Something to work on another day…

Finally, the suggestion that if this is the first time teaching in this format, to focus on select strategies to determine effectiveness (again, related to above). The reading suggests writing a personal goal, keeping an online journal reflecting, setting instructional benchmarks around formative tasks to make adjustments, as well as end of module / marking period data from participants.

If the goal is to provide students with more flexibility, to allow them to practice skills in safe learning environments, to give them the opportunity to think and express ideas…then, I do believe I am on the right track…with a little help from my friends…on with the peer review...

No comments: