Friday, May 23, 2014

BlendKit - Reading reaction - Chapter 4

In reading the content for Chapter 4 of the Blended Learning Toolkit, it reminds me exactly how much technology infiltrates all aspects of learning design. As mentioned in the Conclusion Section of the reading, “learning activities may overlap with interaction strategies and learning assessments”. I kept thinking while I was reading that I had actually incorporated some of this suggested “thinking” into my plans already.

Part of my motivation when completing the DIY activities in the previous module was to find a means for students to access content relevant to the task at hand. What I discovered in my search for ideas and content is that others out there have created activities that support the learning objectives designed in my suggested lesson/unit.

It’s interesting that I still find myself feeling a little “guilty” that I am able to direct students to content / activities that were not developed in house. It almost feels negligent. But, the real question is “why” negligent (assuming proper credit is given)?

Interestingly, this has to be part of the shift that has to happen in order to fully embrace the concept and reality of learning in this time of readily accessible material. It’s the “letting-go” of the need to be centered in all aspects of a teacher-centered classroom and rather “embracing” the collective, collaborative nature of student-centered design.

Last module, my motivation was how much time I could realistically expect students to experience what they know with what they need to know. Someone "out there" did a great job of designing an online learning opportunity to expedite the process. (OK...let go.) Next, it was…how I will know, they know it. (OK...all yours again.)

Now, it’s turning learning design to consider the role technology plays across all dimensions and to be certain we have structured enough support so our students can truly personalize their learning.

Whether face-to-face on online, transparent direction is paramount, guided structure to the learning design has to be clear. Each learning environment requires its own consideration to accomplish this.

One “mistake” teachers often make when they transition instruction from a physical learning space to an online delivery, it would be that they simply plunk content “as is”. But the reality is that it’s not that simple.

So, the benefit of this module for me is two-fold. I must still harbor some difficulty relinquishing control or tending to see the instruction from my side only. Something to continue to work on...

Secondly, I've taken a step back and realize the depth of planning for a blended learning experience. Not to say designing effective instruction is overly difficult…just that it requires considerations distinct to the delivery.

I appreciate the realization. I may need to revisit with each design, but eventually, with experience, I will begin to be more comfortable with the transition in this world of may be a perpetual “beta”.

No comments: